Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A dream... and a promise

These days, I keep coming across lots of instances where people I have known for a while, are tasting phenomenal success in their chosen fields. Success in the form of fame and appreciation.
Case No. 1:
For instance, a few days back, my classmate from college, who works in the same organisation as I, got a "special mention" at the internal awards. Which translated to hm almost getting the award, but not the trophy! The same person also went on to win a few awards at a prestigious creativity fest in Goa! Wow... and we had studied together!
Case No. 2:
Another girl from the same class. She chose to be a model, and is now the face of a reputed international cosmetics brand. I see her in the papers, on the billboards, on commercials too. And read articles about how she is the next big thing to happen to the fashion world!
Wow, and we had studied together!
Case No. 3:
Another classmate. This time a good friend. (While in college, we were even in the same social group for a while!) He chose to become a copywriter, and went on to write amazing award -winning ads in his first year itself. And if this wasn't enough, I have his super boss (the national creative director of the agency) telling me "Oh, you know him! You don't know how far he's gone!" And I will admit, I felt a sense of pride at that moment for being friends with such a great being.
We had studied together too!
Case no. 4:
This time it's my best friend. As someone who's shared her most vulnerable side with me, she has come a long way indeed. For a person who always used to doubt her capabilities, she was the one who started the "graduation event" at college, who's part of an NGO, business head at a small entrepreneurial firm, and one of the very few people from the country to be selected for a unique journey throughout India, she surely has come a long way indeed.
My soul sister! Ok, and we didn't really study together though!
I could go on and on about Case No. 5, 6, 7... When I think about these people, I can't help but think about myself.
I had a dream too. I had dreamt that with all my talents (and with all modesty, I would like to admit that I do have quite a few!), I'd defintely be "somebody" when I grow up. I would be a star in my own right, and people would look upto me for all my achievements.
Cut to now. I have grown up. And my dream remains a dream. But I am far from the person I wanted to be. 
I suppose I put my dreams on the backseat, while tending to the more "important" matters of growing up. Like fitting-in, getting a  good degree, having a secure job and so on. I got so lost in all of this, that I didn't really pay head to what I really wanted to do. In fact, the closest I have got to living my dream is while dreaming. Yes. That's the shameful truth.
So now what? I have decided I am going to give myself a chance. A chance to really do what I like, and not what others think I should do. I am going to do all it takes to become the great person I dreamt of becoming.
I will do all it takes to have atleast 4 professionally recorded projects (commercials, songs, VOs et all) before the year ends. 
And this is my promise to me.

7 comments:

  1. Hello darling!
    Remember, the quarter life crisis thing you sent me, that's what I remembered after I read this entry.
    All the best with keeping your promise.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K so case 1 made me real proud too, I gave him a tight hug in Goa when he was still holding all his trophies, and he hugged me back calling me snob, he didn't forget!!!
    Case 2, she's amazing...I remember working on projects with her...she's a beauty!
    Case 3, I'm still guessing...college fest ???
    Case 4, I don't know....
    I'm so proud of you for following your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mel: Thanks baby! I am actually planning to post the quarter life crisis piece here... it is something I really wanna share with everyone I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Vanita:

    hehe girl, u are right. Case 3 refers to the man named after the college fest! Or vice versa... whatever it is! :-)

    Case 4 is a really close friend from college... not in our class.

    As regards following my dream, there is no other option I have now! :-)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have dreams too. I want to be among the top 25 most powerful women in this country.

    There is quite a long way to go, but i am getting there for sure.

    I fought disillusionment and comparisons too...but i guess when you are surrounded by such achievers you end up becoming an achiever yourself.

    :) Your acknowledgement of the fact is a great step in itself.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. do what you think, you can do and not what you think should be done.

    my only advice to you is if you feel you will be happy doing something that interests you - go for it. It will be a tough decision to make as you will be surrounded with a mixed bag opinions, but if you think you can do well why listen to those opinions.

    i have just realised this and am taking an assignment which i think i can do well, though people have been feeding me with a lot of negative opinions.

    all the best. you will do well. hope to listen your voice soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks ajey! :-)

    and all the v best to u too! :-D

    ReplyDelete